wuftp: 421 Service not available, remote server has closed
I checked the wuftp FAQ's and threads and am still having the problem mentioned
in the subject line above on Solaris 8. Here is what I have done thus far:
- In /etc/inetd.conf I made sure that tcp6 was replaced by tcp
(then `pkill -HUP inetd`);
- TCP wrappers are not invoved;
- I can see the client connection on port 21 via snoop, but
disconnection immediately follows with the
"421 Service not available, remote server has closed connection"
"netstat -a" also indicates the service is waiting "on port
21" on the server.
- I also tried it without inetd involvement as follows:
(1) take the ftp service out of inted control first.
(2) then start it on the command line as simple
as possible: /usr/local/sbin/in.ftpd -S -A -p 21 -P 20
Still the same problem.
Note that I downloaded the Solaris 8 binaries from sunfreeware.com
and the version is "Version wu-2.6.2(6)"
Finally, I saw something about potential PAM authentication
problems for linux; perhaps the same here.
Would appreciate any suggestions.
BTW... The client is a regular Solaris 8 ftp client (/usr/bin/ftp)